Pins are used to do a quick assessment of material or process changes within the supply chain. It allows to assess in a very simplified manner the cost, compliance and sustainability changes of it.
Before starting with a PIN a supply chain a model need to be set up.
We now look on alternatives how change and adapt the supply chain.
In our example we are starting after a supply chain for the Ball pen has already been set up.
The aim is to replace the “High density polyethylene” used in the Ball pen example with polypropylene granulate using a pin.
- Open the product model of the Ball pen example
- Mark the “High density polyethylene” product group
- Click on the pin in the tool panel
- Search for the material alternative “Polypropylene granulate” and select it
- Switch to the Global warming app and see the changes of the impact through alternative material choices.
- Save the alternative production route.
- How to search a data set is described in the search function article.
- Open the product model. It should look like the screenshot below.
- Be aware there might be slight deviation in the model between our example and what you have modeled.
- No click the polyethylene granulates product group.
- Remember product groups are green bars, processes yellow ones and the grey edges are used to visualize the connection between those.
NOTE: The dataset might be located at a different position in your Sankey. If you do not find it, you can use the search function of the browser (press Ctrl+F to open it) and search for it.
- Now click on “add supply chain pin” in the tool panel on the right.
- In the pop-up box select search and select the polypropylene granulate data set.
- The apply the selected pin.
- The performance analysis bar opens on the right.
- NOTE: As we are in the product model no change in performance is shown.
- The location of the pin in the model is marked through small red pin.
- Now we change the app to Global warming potential and see the changes in GWP performance.
- The change of the material lead to marginal improvement of 1,49 %
- You can now change between the different apps and see the how the alternative material choice has changes your cost, compliance and sustainability picture.
- You can now save and name the alternative for further use.
- Conduct MCDA to compare both options